Pow! Right In The Kisser – An Important Lesson In Self Defence Brought To You By Glenn Danzig
Glenn Danzig is a rock musician. Here he is talking about his martial arts training:
Pretty impressive, eh? He’s been taught Jeet Kune Do by one of the few people who learned the art from Bruce Lee himself. Here’s Glenn Danzig applying that training:
Ah. That’s not quite as impressive, is it? I don’t know that much about Jeet Kune Do, but I do train in a few martial arts myself and there are some things they all have in common. As regards self-defence, there are certain things that any martial arts instructor worth their salt will tell you:
If you feel you can safely run or walk away from any potential confrontation, then always do so.
If you can’t physically get out of harm’s way, try to defuse the situation verbally.
Only employ physical violence if none of the above tactics have worked.
Glenn Danzig may have practiced his Jeet Kune Do moves, but he clearly didn’t pay much attention to the ground rules. If he had then maybe he wouldn’t have been sparked out.
You may have noticed that there are little comments on that video. One of them is that “Danny is not threatening Glenn in any way.” To be fair to Glenn, that’s just not true. Danny is engaged in quite a lot of finger pointing. And as the landlord of one of my local pubs is fond of saying “When the fingers start pointing, it’s time to throw somebody out of the bar.” Finger pointing means that violence is about to commence in almost all circumstances.
Maybe Glen noticed this pointing. This is when he should have tried to calm the situation down. Now, as I’ve said, I don’t know a great deal about Jeet Kune Do. I’m going to go out on a limb though and venture that Mr Danzig’s instructor didn’t tell him that the best way to calm someone down is to push them in the chest and shout “Fuck you motherfucker!” Though I’ll admit that this is just guesswork on my part.
To continue my Holmesian process of deduction, I’m also willing to bet that Glenn Danzig’s Jeet Kune Do instructor didn’t give him the following advice:
“If you absolutely have to fight someone, make sure he’s about a foot taller than you. Make sure he’s a man whose fight-to-hot-dinner ratio is as close to 1:1 as possible. That way, he’ll outweigh you by at least 150 pounds and will probably be able to punch a carthorse’s lights out.”
When your opponent in a fight is a big fat bastard and you are not, the laws of physics are not on your side. More height and more fat = more mass. And Force = Mass x Acceleration. So when that fat fucker’s meaty fist is accelerating towards you and you don’t take evasive action, you’re going to hit the deck.
Glenn Danzig didn’t seem to realize this. But as I’ve said, he is a rock musician. And with certain notable exceptions, rock musicians don’t tend to be all that bright.
© Copyright Michael Grimes 2015
Tags: bruce lee, Finger Pointing, Glenn Danzig, Jeet Kune, Jeet Kune Do, martial arts, martial arts training, Motherfucker, physics, pub, Pub Landlord, Rock Musicians, self defence, The Laws of Physics, violence
About thedailygrimeAt that awkward age - too young to be a grumpy old man, but just acerbic and downtrodden enough to have an opinion. Read it here.
All I’ve got is this pen
Most recent rants from the Frank Zappa of writing
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Hurdles – How Martial Arts Have Taught Me Persistence Pays And Good Things Come To Those Who Wait
- I’m With Stupid – Who’s More Annoying, Clever People Or Stupid People?
- Exploring Your Inner Shelf – Why Every Straight Man Harbours A Secret Gay Refugee And How To Harness His Awesome Secret Powers
- There Can Be Only One – Soulmates, Dragons And Unicorn Sandwiches
- I Come From A Little Town You’ve Probably Never Heard Of – How My Only Meaningful Dream Is Actually Just One Big Joke
- Don't discover your #SpiritAnimal. CHOOSE your spirit animal. Choose the Honey Badger! #Tenacity #Determination thedailygrime.wordpress.com/2016/11/24/the… 1 week ago
- THE best #HammerHouseOfHorror ever made. #RudeAwakening dailymotion.com/video/x3gi8ud_… 2 weeks ago
- Nanas, Wrestling, Handguns and Drinking Bleach #1970s #1980s thedailygrime.wordpress.com/2016/08/29/bla… 2 weeks ago
- #TomLehrer comments on current world events. From 1967. #DonaldTrump #KimJongUn youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBro… 2 weeks ago
- From #KennyEverett's World's Worst Record Show. Check out the...erm..."trumpet solo" youtube.com/watch?v=9EEZAi… 2 weeks ago
Browse the Archives
- April 2017 (2)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (1)
- January 2017 (5)
- December 2016 (1)
- November 2016 (4)
- October 2016 (3)
- September 2016 (4)
- August 2016 (2)
- July 2016 (2)
- April 2016 (1)
- March 2016 (2)
- February 2016 (2)
- January 2016 (2)
- December 2015 (1)
- November 2015 (4)
- October 2015 (7)
- September 2015 (7)
- August 2015 (14)
- July 2015 (20)
- June 2015 (10)
- April 2015 (3)
- March 2015 (2)
- January 2015 (6)
- November 2014 (2)
- October 2014 (1)
- September 2014 (4)
- August 2014 (4)
- July 2014 (6)
- June 2014 (5)
- May 2014 (10)
- April 2014 (12)
- March 2014 (14)
- February 2014 (17)
- January 2014 (20)
- December 2013 (10)
- November 2013 (7)
- October 2013 (5)
- September 2013 (2)
- August 2013 (5)
- July 2013 (5)
- June 2013 (3)
- May 2013 (9)
- April 2013 (12)
- March 2013 (7)
- February 2013 (2)
- January 2013 (1)
- October 2011 (1)